I take attendance daily. Since more than half of your grade is based on Spanish-speaking participation in Spanish-speaking class activities, attendance is vital.
- This class grade is negatively affected after two absences in classes which meet 2 days a week and 3 absences in classes which meet 3 days a week. In sections with two 2 1/2 hour format, missing one day is really the equivalent of missing two one-hour classes and half of a third class!
- For 2-day a week classes, after two absences, your overall final grade drops 3 points per absence. After 6 absences, you will be dropped from the course.
- For 3-day a week classes, after three absences, your grade drops 3 points per absence. After 6 absences, you will be dropped from the course.
- For the policy regarding absences during the first month of class, see the Bulletins Board
- Since late arrivals are disruptive,
please make every effort to arrive a few minutes early:
Three (3) late arrivals count as one absence.
- Playing with computers, cell phones, iPods, sleeping, texting, chatting, working on another class's work
- Working any other non-Spanish 101B class-related activites at any time during class
- Being unprepared for class activities
- Chatting away in English, chatting during class presentations or explanations
- ALL also constitute an Absence and an F for participation and labwork.
- During class activities you are on task, not working on other assignments or interests.
- You are speaking Spanish (or trying to) as much as possible. I am listening for how you speak, how you use the material we are working on, and your pronunciation. I will assist with any question you may have. Please be aware that consistently speaking in English will not only negatively affect your grade, but also that of your partner.
- You have done your homework & readings, reviewed the website materials, and so are prepared to participate in individual, paired and group exercises and activities.
- You are courteous and encouraging to your fellow students.
- You volunteer for exercises and activities.
Rudeness and/or disrespectful behavior especially toward another student or to the class or to the instructor will result in being dropped from the course.